You’ll be in excellent company if you join us for the inaugural Success Spark Brand Writing Retreat at the picturesque One-Minute South on Bulago Island from Friday 9 October to Monday 12 October 2015.
The only requirements are that you are a lover of literature and writing, have intellectual curiosity and openness to new artistic experiences, and the desire to deepen your understanding of the creative process.The retreat will be filled with concentrated and purposeful sessions where you will work on a chapter, or story outline that you will have targeted to complete before hand.
This retreat is not a binge-writing event. So whether you want to edit a short story, finish a novel or non-fiction book, write a couple of chapters, outline a novel/ book— you’re more likely to do it if you’ve thought ahead, and we will work with you ahead of the retreat to set up your expectations and targets.
We want you to focus solely on your writing and this retreat will be an excellent way to recharge and kick your writing up a notch.We hope this retreat will also be a vacation for you with a higher purpose - getting you to relax, learn and mostly be inspired.
The Venue: One Minute South
That is why the venue was carefully selected to offer that vacation feel while at the same time giving you time and space to write.
We will spend 4 glorious nights at the much coveted One Minute South Villa on Bulago Island. Located on the 500 acre Bulago Island in Lake Victoria, One Minute South sits on 20 acres of idyllic land, providing the perfect gateway for recharging and sparking your writing skills. The natural surroundings are a perfect escape from the noise and pollution of the city.
Run up to the retreat
We plan to have some fun during the retreat:
· We will establish an online group for active participation
· We will establish your plans for the retreat- fiction, non-fiction, a novel, a short story, nothing in particular, and help you prepare for the retreat in a way that will make it as productive as possible.
Daily routine on the retreat
· We will begin each day after breakfast with a short prep session, followed by questions and discussions.
· For those interested, we will have brief writing exercises to start up each morning.
· You will then be free to write anywhere else for the rest of the day. Writing sessions will be broken down in three 90 minute chunks per day.
. Jackee Batanda and Nyana Kakoma will be on hand on a daily one-on-one session to discuss your project and to give you valuable feedback on your writing.
· Nyana will lead sessions on plot and structure, how and where to get published: self publishing or otherwise, editing your own work, critiquing and peer review, and how to work with an editor.
· You may use afternoons for further writing, sightseeing or anything else that catches your fancy. Tours are available at an extra cost and arrangements can be done directly with the One Minute South management.
· Every evening, we will host a round table session where you will have the option to have your pieces workshopped and get valuable feedback from your classmates. We shall aim to workshop at least two pieces from the day. Jackee will lead these evening workshops.
· Bosco, the resident chef, will whip up fresh and delightful meals for lunch and dinner.
Post-retreat- As a final wrap up, participants can upload up to 3,000 words to the online group for feedback from Jackee and Nyana.
Accommodation, food, tuition and mentoring costs
One Minute South
We will allocate rooms on a first come, first serve basis. Participants are welcome to bring a non-writing partner with them.
Retreat Participant Non-writing partner
Early bird registration: $450 $350
Late registration: $500 $400
Costs include accommodation, return transportation from Munyonyo, three meals a day, tuition and mentoring, course material, and staff costs. Telephone costs excluded. You are, however, responsible for your own transport to the departure point.
Deposits and payments:
In order to secure the accommodation, we need a payment of 50% of the above amount immediately. The balance is due
by Friday 18th September 2015.
· Prices are subject to fluctuation if not paying in dollars.
The first 10 registered participants win an autographed copy of Nansubuga Makumbi's bestseller, Kintu, and
a professional photography session for their book cover.